Glenkirk Presbyterian Church and Sanctuary Organ
In 1955, 52 Glendora residents met to start a Presbyterian Church. Within months Glenkirk was chartered as a United Presbyterian Church and by 1957, a Chapel and an educational unit served as their new home on the corner of Live Oak and Leadora. The church grew rapidly and additional units and a new main sanctuary were built and dedicated in 1965.
In the fall of 1982, the congregation voted to purchase the former Bidwell School site on Palopinto Avenue. Construction of the new sanctuary and campus complex began in 1987 and. the first worship service was held on September 11, 1988.
From the very onset, plans were to include space for, and install, a fine new pipe organ in the new sanctuary. An organ search committee was formed and eventually signed a contract with the Rodgers Organ Company for a large 4-manual combination pipe and electronic instrument. It was good timing, because the architects and builders could plan and build the proper space for their new organ. Renowned organist, Frederick Swann, served as consultant to the organ committee and played the Organ Dedication Concert on Sunday, April 2, 1989.
In 2008, dialogue between church officials and Rodgers began regarding the possibility of replacing the original console with a new state-of-the-art digital console. The plan eventually succeeded and in June, 2009 a new 4-manual custom Rodgers Trillium Masterpiece technology console was interfaced with the existing 70 pipe ranks.
The new console is based on Rodgers Parallel Digital Imaging™ technology. An additional 150 digitally sampled pipe ranks augment the former organ specification. (The original console had been prepared for these, but was never completed.). The new additions expand the tonal resources to include a rear gallery Antiphonal Division and State Trumpet, plus a very quiet set of celestial sounds in the opposite side of the rear gallery called the Ethereal Division. The crowning jewel still remains the flared-bell brass Trompette en Chamade, which are pipes installed in the horizontal position.