A Special Time for a Special Church
This Easter will be a very special time for St. Paul Lutheran Church in Mountain View, California. They will be celebrating the Savior’s Resurrection with a new Rodgers organ and a newly appointed organist!
Earlier this year, after an extensive research, the organ committee recommended to the congregation that a new Rodgers 3-manual Artist Series, Model 599 be installed in time for Easter Services. The congregation voted unanimously to accept the organ committee’s recommendation and a contract was signed with Robert Tall & Associates, Inc., Northern California representatives for Rodgers organs.
Robert Knight, Knight Pipe Organ Company, San Diego performed the installation in consultation with Dr. Robert Tall, Allen Clapp, organ committee chairman and members of the music staff. Admirably, Pastor Aaron Smith took a personal interest in the project, as well, and, to the delight of the crew, was involved during the installation, which was completed on April 3, 2014.
The organ has an 8-channel Main organ system installed in the balcony with the church choir and a 4-channel Antiphonal organ system, installed in the front of the sanctuary on each side of the Altar area. Special Oak enclosures were installed to hide the speakers and match the church décor. The organ Antiphonal system also serves as the sound system for the praise band and the public address system.
Peter Ujj was appointed organist in late March and assumed his duties as organist beginning April 1st. He is a very gifted musician from Hungary, having studied with, Istvan Baroti, organist at the famed Esztergom Basilica, whose lineage traces back two generations of musicians having studied directly with Franz Liszt.
St. Paul Lutheran Church started as a mission to Mountain View in 1951, worshiping first in Mountain View’s historic Adobe Building. In 1954, St. Paul moved to its present location on El Monte Avenue. The congregation established the St. Paul Child Development Center in 1987 to serve the families of the community. A new sanctuary was dedicated in 1992, with the old sanctuary being converted into a fellowship hall. The sanctuary is blessed with superb stained glass windows and high ceilings. The space is very kind to sound.
St. Paul provides Word and Sacrament ministry in both English and Spanish, offers a Lutheran worship service with both organ and praise band, and continues to support the community through its Montessori-based CDC.