Archive for December, 2013
Saint Peter’s in Oakland, California is a founding member of the Anglican Province of Christ the King (http://www.anglicanpck.org/) and serves as the Pro-Cathedral of its Diocese of the Western States, Archbishop James E. Provence, Diocesan Ordinary. St. Peter’s was established in 1913. In 1957 the cornerstone was laid for the construction of the present building, which incorporated many memorials and brilliant stained glass windows. The Reverend Robert Sherwood Morse, today Archbishop Emeritus, served as Rector from 1966 to 1984. The Reverend Michael Mautner currently serves as Rector of the parish. James Mayer, a graduate from Cornell University, has faithfully served this congregation for 37 years as Organist and Choirmaster. Installed in November, the new Rodgers 3-manual 589 replaces a 2-manual pipe organ, which was built by the Bennett Theater Pipe Organ Company, Rock Island, Illinois in the 1920’s, removed from a theater and installed during the building of St. Peter’s in 1957. The Rodgers 589 classical organ is the very latest in digital technology, built with Rodgers exclusive SSC (Sound System Chip) tone generation technology for realistic pipe organ sound, increased reliability and better energy efficiency. The Rodgers 589 has 158 pipe organ voices in the main organ and an additional 89 in alternate settings. These stops are created from stereophonic recordings of world-class pipe organs. There are also an additional 32 orchestral voices, which are recordings from world-class orchestras. There are 8 independent stereo channels in the main organ, which emanate from the pipe chambers, located in the rear choir loft. An additional 2 independent channels form the antiphonal division, which is located high up in the chancel area. Each channel is powered by a 125-Watt digital amplifier, totaling an impressive 1,250 Watts. The organ is powerful, but not loud. The instrument was purchased through Robert Tall & Associates, Inc., Rodgers northern California representatives, who also completed the installation and tonal finishing. (See more pictures under Recent Installations.)
Dr. James Welch, organist of Santa Clara University, as well as of several churches in the Palo Alto area, is now happy to have a Rodgers organ in his home. The organ has an interesting history: it was first sold in 1988–25 years ago–to a student of Dr. Welch’s who lived in Utah. After the owner passed away several years later, the organ was acquired by another of Dr. Welch’s students who lives in northern California. The organ served him well until this year when that owner retired from playing the organ. He offered the organ to Dr. Welch, who was pleased to receive it for his home studio.Dr. Welch has another reason he’s glad to have an organ at home: he has a 15-year old son who now plays the organ very well (and even plays regularly for the family’s LDS church services). Having a practice organ at home is a real advantage for the family. Even after 25 years the organ is in outstanding condition and sounds great.
For the second year, Robert Tall & Associates was asked to provide the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra a Rodgers organ for a performance of the massive orchestral work, An Alpine Symphony, by Richard Strauss. The event was held at the impressive Green Music Concert Hall in Rohnert Park on Thursday, September 21st. The work is some 52 minutes in length and requires an unusual array of instruments in addition to an organ of powerful tonal resources. Robert Tall & Associates supplied a Rodgers Infinity 243 for the occasion. Maestro Semyon Bychkov conducted, Jonathan Dimmock was at the organ.
When Our Lady of Joy Catholic Church in Carefree, Arizona installed their new 3-manual Rodgers Infinity 361, they donated their 2-manual Allen organ to St. Pius X, a mission church that now hosts the Black Ministry of the Diocese of Phoenix. The Allen replaces an older Baldwin organ. Robert Tall & Associates performed the removal of the Allen from Our Lady of Joy Catholic Church in Carefree and installed it at St. Pius X Mission Catholic Church in downtown Phoenix. (See more detailed information and pictures under Recent Installations.)